The field of Victimology related to survivors of Narcissistic, Anti-Social, and Psychopathic disordered partners has been growing rapidly over the last few years. (Currently going by various names–Narcissistic Victim Syndrome, Toxic Relationship Survivors, Pathological Love Relationships, etc.) This is evidenced by over 100 facebook pages alone on the topic of NPD/PP, many other forms of social media information, numerous websites, documentaries, radio/tv show focus, and survivor blogs/books are springing up. In addition, we are seeing a field trend toward professional mental health providers hanging out their ‘shingle’ for this new emerging genre of counseling or requesting training on the dynamics of Narcissistic & Psychopathic Victim Syndrome.
The interest in both providing services and acquiring education has been growing. So, has this become a new ‘genre’? And do we need a professional Association affiliated with it?
- Some NPD/PP field educators estimate there are at least 60 million persons in the U.S. alone who are negatively impacted by a partner’s Cluster B psychopathology. This leaves a wide berth of need for both education and treatment services, again pointing to an emerging specialization field and certainly with a large need.
- NPD/PP relational dynamics have been theorized for (at least) a decade.
- ‘Aftermath’ Symptoms have been identified, surveyed, documented, and researched.
- At least one formalized clinical model of care treatment has been developed.
- A clinical neurobiological impact study and theory related to neuro-based aftermath is going to be released soon.
- Published research related to NPD/PP impact to partners, and partner personality studies have been conducted by students and professionals collaborating with various universities.
- Websites of professional mental health providers on this topic are increasing.
These actions alone give credence to the NPD/PP Victim field coming together to organize theory, research, and even product development, as we believe these field items warrant a professional Association to guide this emerging field with research, theory, treatment, and training.
We are in the early phases of ‘vision’ development for an Association, to include identifying a formal name. We welcome mental health professionals in the field who would like to contribute their vision to the development of this Association.
At this time, we envision the Association to be active in:
- Education, both to field professionals and later to peer educators, on the psychopathology associated with the disorders and recovery methods;
- The organization of a cohesive description of NPD/PP relationships, the relational dynamics, and aftermath symptomology;
- The development of an evidence-based model of care approach;
- Support for research related projects;
- Publication of recent treatment, research, and neuro news.
To help us move forward, we have prepared a brief survey that asks about your interest in the topic matter, your current practice and credentials, and interest in participation as a member of the Association’s Board of Directors to help bring it to life.
We hope you will choose to be part of this new emerging genre that needs support and guidance to provide treatment to a growing population of survivors. If we can answer any questions, please let us know by emailing us through the Contact Us form in the right hand sidebar. Please choose Association for NPD/PP Educators from the dropdown.
Thank you for your interest and participation!
Your Association for NPD and Psychopathy Educators & Treatment Organizing Committee